The Well Teacher Group
The Well Teacher Group has been created to help teachers make themselves a priority, to take greater control of their own wellness, and ultimately, to thrive in the classroom. It focuses on developing tools and skills related to improving one’s vitality and resiliency. The program’s holistic approach to wellness will equip teachers to make lifestyle changes that will positively affect their physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
The six-week program will provide opportunities for:
- A review of wellness and the various components that make up a holistically well teacher.
- Self analysis and reflection on overall levels of wellness, physical health, and mental health for participants and the teaching profession as a whole.
- Examination of the relationship between wellness and balance for teachers, both at home and at school.
- Discussions on the challenges facing teachers in maintaining wellness and balance, and how to improve both with goal setting and commitment to self.
- A review of the importance of exercise, nutrition, and sleep, and why it can be so difficult to reach goals in these areas.
- Discussions on physical health challenges facing teachers; pain, fatigue, ergonomics, and voice.
- An in-depth review of the relationship between teaching and mental health, with a focus on burnout, mood, and anxiety.
- The opportunity for teachers to examine their own levels of burnout and mental health, to utilize tools to assist with managing negative thinking, and to build resilience.
- To develop an individual wellness plan, with goals specific to each participant, based on the information and strategies discussed throughout The Well Teacher Group.
- 12-hour group workshop which typically involves six, two hour long sessions over a six week period.
- Group consists of 10-15 teachers and 1-2 group leaders, but alternate group scenarios are possible.
- Leaders are qualified occupational therapists or trained consultants in mental health.
- Leaders are knowledgeable of classroom environments and the teaching profession.
For more information about the program, please contact:
Vice President, humanworks & author of The Well Teacher
For registration information:
go to the BCTF Health and Wellness website for details